I feel like this patch is almost done and I'm looking for some feedback now. It's my first real attempt at making something in PD so I'm sure I took some very roundabout ways to do things. I should also say that this forum was one of my main resources for help, though I never asked anything myself the past discussions were often very useful. Thanks.
The basic idea with this patch started with a joke about how there is a video remix for just about everything on youtube. I suggested that someone should just make an automated program to make the remixes. Then I realized I could probably make something like that in PD. This is what I made.
Some basic instructions: (I should write a readme for it)
1. Load a video or two using the appropriate buttons. (.mov)
2. Load a song, or not. A song that is beat oriented looks best in my opinion. (.wav) Wait for it to load in the array below.
3. Select whether you are using one or two videos.
4. Adjust the volume sliders for the videos and music.
5. Press 'Play' to start the music and video. (X11 opens here for me for the video, I imagine this will vary on another OS)
6. Tap the spacebar in time to the music to set the tempo for the remixer. The tempo is visible at the top left.
7. Once you have the tempo set as you want it press 'Remix'.
8. The video will remix itself to the music.
Adjust the VideoFX Sensitivity to have the flashes occur more frequently. Adjust Reverse Playback to set how often the video plays backwards.
Also you can press 'Record A/V' to save the playback to a .mov file that should appear in the HD directory.
The remix is all random which limits how effective the cuts can be but it is also very satisfying when something ends up syncing perfectly in an unexpected way. I had considered making the user be able to scrub the video to choose points in the timeline to jump to specifically to allow more control over the cuts but I decided it wasn't what I was going for. I may do another version that enables this but I'm leaving it out of this one.
That's about all there is to it. I'm interested in any kind of feedback. One thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to stop the remixer function along with everything else. It's not a big deal but if anyone has ideas please let me know.