• me-andmymonkey

    @lacuna I'm currently just playing files using [readsf~]. I'm only using [soundfiler] to get the sample length of the next audio file I want to play, so I can figure out what random snippet from it I want to play.

    Each audio file might be up to hour or two in length, and there are around 40–50 files the patch can choose from at random, so loading them all into array doesn't seem very efficient to me.

    I need the number of samples (and sample rate) of the file in order to do this. [soundfiler] just seems very heavy handed for all I want to do.

    [soundfile_info] works perfectly. I'll look into these other solutions you'e flagged.

    posted in technical issues read more
  • me-andmymonkey

    @seb-harmonik-ar I got it working too actually. But I'm still curious about Vanilla-friendly solutions if there are any!

    posted in technical issues read more
  • me-andmymonkey

    Okay, so I know [soundfiler] does exactly this: gives the sample size of a file from its left outlet. However, it is also heavy handed, in that it is causing audio dropouts while another file is playing using readsf~

    I know that [soundfile_info] from iemlib does this. However, it's not compiled for 64 bit MacOS and I also need it to run on a Raspverry Pi as well.

    Are there other solutions?

    posted in technical issues read more
  • me-andmymonkey

    @oid right on. Thanks very much. Lots of learning in this stuff. Thanks everyone.

    posted in technical issues read more
  • me-andmymonkey

    Hey all, this is a really tidy solution to the problem. I was not aware of the 'urn' object. I assume this is a Max thing that's been brought over to PD.

    @whale-av by index I mean, the position of a value in a list message. I hope that makes sense!

    @ingox really interesting! I still haven't really dived into the [text] object. I'm still only getting my head around lists.

    To make things a little bit more complicated, I also wanted to make it so that instead of totally clearing the 'check list' in my patch (that stores the index values), the list keeps the final 5 values. This would mean that when the 'check list' resets, it still won't output the last 5 values from before the last reset.

    I've figure out a way of doing that using [list split] that seems to work well. I'd be curious as to how it would work with [text].

    Anyway, thank you both so much. This is great.

    posted in technical issues read more
  • me-andmymonkey

    Hello,

    So I've been working on this abstraction that is supposed to select a random element from a 'to use' list, without repeating until every element from the list has been selected.

    Each time the list is fed in, another 'check' list stores what index has been used, checking to see if the random index generated has been previously used. If it hasn't, that index is used to pick from the 'to use' list. If the index has been used previously, then a new random number is generated.

    If the length of the 'to do' list and the 'check' list are the same, then the 'check' list is cleared and the process starts from fresh.

    Okay, so the abstraction I've made technically works. However, I am getting a nasty stack overflow problem when the 'check' list resets. When I trace the error from Pd says that it's coming from the [list-abs/list-find] abstraction I'm using.

    Here's the patch: patch.zip

    I'm struggling to find a way of getting over this error. Sort of stumped. Any help / a simpler way of getting around this problem would be great...

    posted in technical issues read more
  • me-andmymonkey

    @toxonic thanks for this!

    Another library I found with a nice spatialisation external for 4 and 8 channels is this: https://github.com/solipd/AudioLab. Check out pp.spat4~ and pp.spat8~

    posted in technical issues read more
  • me-andmymonkey

    Hello all,

    I've been hunting through the forum looking for some examples of Quad Panners that are also usable on a Raspberry Pi. There are some examples out there and others that seem to have been lost to dead web pages over the years.

    I thought I'd reach out to see if there anything that people are currently using / worth trying.

    C

    posted in technical issues read more
  • me-andmymonkey

    To explain why the last entry is $f1, I need to pass that number on for another operation if it doesn't meet any of the conditions. But of course that was the issue. I've changed the 'true' entry to a three digit number, that then gets caught by a [sel] object to trigger the soundfile.

    posted in technical issues read more
  • me-andmymonkey

    duh! thank you for pointing out that very obvious mistake! @ingox

    posted in technical issues read more

Internal error.

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!