Hey Guys,

I've noticed, consistently, that if I select my MOTU 828mkII as both Audio In and Audio Out in PD .39extended (newest build from Hans in daily builds, RC4) my CPU usage jumps to almost double as compared to CPU usage with my Built In audio as Audio In and Audio Out. I have not seen this behaviour in any other Mac OS X application.

I've found a way around this.

If you're a Mac OS X user, go ahead and download Soundflower from Cycling74's website: http://www.cycling74.com/downloads/soundflower
Soundflower mirrors Jack in function, but is only available for OS X. It creates a virtual 2 channel and 16 channel interface in your OS so you can route audio between applications and out the soundcard.

To work around this CPU usage bug with firewire interfaces, select Soundflower 2ch or Soundflower 16ch as your default Audio Out / Audio In within Pd. Then within the Soundflowerbed menu, select your firewire interface as your soundflower output. I don't know why this works, but it does. You can now decrease your CPU usage up to about 2x when using a firewire interface. Screenshots follow.

Builtin audio OR soundflower as output while playing the 7. datastructure sequencer demo

Firewire as audio output while playing the 7. datastructure sequencer demo

Soundflower config